Saturday, November 26, 2016

What are Virtues?

Virtues

            It is stated that a “virtue is a moral habit” that enables one to achieve his or her values (Landauer & Rowlands, 2001).  My values are those that I strive to attain based on my notions of morals and ethics.  After reading Benjamin Franklin’s 13 virtues, I considered the virtues that I strongly believe I possess; the virtues of resolution and industry.  The first, resolution, as Franklin had defined is to “perform without fail what you resolve” (Public Broadcasting Service, n.d.).  Synonyms for resolution are purpose, determination and perseverance.  I believe the aforementioned traits summize how I have lived my life. 
            The second virtue that I strongly believe I possess is ‘industry’.  Benjamin Franklin described ‘industry’ as that in which one loses no time (Public Broadcasting Service, n.d.).  He further added, “Be always employed in something useful.  Cut off all unnecessary actions” (Public Broadcasting Service, n.d.).  I always tell myself to be “productive”.  I always tell my kids to be productive (much to their annoyance).  However, I did not always think this way.  I had experienced a significant event, when I had lost a friend in combat, that I realized the frailty and impermanence of life.  Thus, I am constantly compelled to achieve something, no matter big or small. 
            The virtues I mentioned above are demonstrated in the following examples in my life.  I am currently pursuing a Master’s degree and train/compete in martial arts.  Both of these endeavors are nothing that I have to/am required to do.  I want to do them.  I choose not to be timid with opportunity and to have no regret with an unfulfilled life.
            Yet, I understand that possessing a few virtues does not make me a virtuous person. Franklin wrote of at least 13 virtues that one ought to have to be a person of good character (Public Broadcasting Service, n.d.).  I wrote that I strongly believe I possess the virtues of resolution and industry.  I feel the same with the virtues of order and cleanliness.  However, after taking the virtue quiz, I learned that there are some virtues that I need to improve upon and include in my daily life – the virtues of sincerity and tranquility.   
            To have sincerity is to “think innocently and justly” (Public Broadcasting Service, n.d.).  I believe this relates to how I judge people.  I discussed in this course’s current Module about my biases towards others.  I admitted that I am not free of bias – I judge others against my standard of “truths” i.e. how one should behave and/or act.  However, it is asserted that the “truth” can only be recognized through things such as context, perspective, empathy, and self-reflection to name a few (LaFollette, 2007).  In order to develop sincerity in my daily life, I must reflect upon my assumptions, misconceptions, and/or prejudices towards others and get to know the other person. 
            Another virtue that I seemed to fall short on is tranquility.  A person who is tranquil is “not disturbed at trifles or at accidents common or unavoidable” (Public Broadcasting Service, n.d.).  The quiz results declared to not sweat the small stuff.  Developing this virtue will most definitely be a challenge to me.  Many of my professional and educational experiences and teaching have conditioned me to pay attention to detail.  However, I do recognize that not every detail is important and in the context of life, I ought to pay more attention to the things that really matter.  From another perspective, tranquility can also mean finding personal peace.  The Dalai Lama XIV once said, “Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek” (Good Reads, n.d.).

References

Good Reads. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/tranquility

LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.

Landauer, J., & Rowlands, J. (2001). Retrieved from www.importanceofphilosophy.com: http://www.importanceofphilosophy.com/Ethics_Virtue.html

McKee, A., Boyatzis, R., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.


Public Broadcasting Service. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.pbs.org: http://www.pbs.org/benfranklin/pop_virtues_list.html

No comments:

Post a Comment