Saturday, November 5, 2016

The harder they fall

            In his article, Roderick Kramer wrote why leaders fall (Kramer, 2003).  He wrote that when a leader has fallen from grace, it is resultant of several common things.  Those things, as I perceived them, related to one losing his or her ethical ways – he or she no longer followed the bearing on their moral compass. 
            For instance, Kramer (2003) wrote that a leader’s ‘fall from grace’ was often a consequence of one’s “winner wants all” mentality (p. 60).  With such a mentality, it was easy for the leader to lose introspection.  It was asserted that with a “winner wants all” mentality, one may “perceive…introspection (as) antithetical to success” (Kramer, 2003, p. 60).  I believe that this is akin to an “ends justify the means” mentality”.  In the context of ethics, a consequentialist may not see something wrong with a “winner wants all” mentality – the risks, the moral missteps, etc. are worth it so long as the envisioned outcome is perceived as the best outcome.  Yet, the problem here is the lack of introspection; one has failed (or fails to) to examine and/or assess his or her moral/ethical behavior and actions. 
            For example, when climbing the ladder of success, a leader may encounter the ethical dilemma of stepping on other people.  Yet, doing this violates an important precept, the Golden Rule (LaFollette, 2007).  The Golden Rule is that universal moral notion that we ought not to harm others, or alternatively, do unto them as we would expect in return (LaFollete, 2007; Putnam, 2006).  Although I did not step on other people to find success at work, I recognized that my past actions had indirectly harmed others.       
            Early in my military career as young leader, I was very focused on mission accomplishment.  I wanted recognition as the leader that gets things done.  To achieve this I pushed my followers hard and had little tolerance for failure or excuses.  Moreover, I became dissonant.  I became socially and emotionally distant from my followers and was not necessarily concerned about their personal lives.  I lacked compassion.  This was a result of focusing on winning (the ends) while dismissing the means.  Kramer (2003) called this the “sins of omission” where one fails to monitor his or her environment and paying less attention to others around them (p. 63).  Contrary to dissonance is resonant leadership, where one has mindfulness, hope, and compassion (Boyatzis & McKee, 2005).  This is now what I strive to be. 
            The “winner wants all” mentality is also pervasive in our American culture (consider political ideologies).  There is (and has been) ideological and ethical conflicts between so-called liberals and conservative on issues that include, but not limited to, abortion, welfare, death penalty, etc. where each side resists compromise.  There is irony in this – the claim from both sides is that the other is intolerant, and yet not recognizing the fallacy of their arguments.  Yet, in the face of this I believe that I carry moderation on these issues and use intellectual courage (or at least try to) in considering others’ beliefs.
            However, Kramer (2003) offered some advice to avoid the previously mentioned moral and ethical pitfalls.  First, keep it simple (p. 60).  I realized that my life had so much more value when I considered what was really important to me – faith, family/friends, and self (personal improvement).  Second, have a reality check, often (p. 60).  I must know and understand the basis of my moral/ethical assumptions.  Are they guided by principles and sound ethical theories or am I affected by ever-changing social norms?  As a person (and leader), I must assess and know who I really am versus who I want (or ought) to be.  Thus, Kramer claims, one must be introspective and understanding his or her strengths and shortcomings.

References

Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A. (2005). Resonant leadership. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.

Kramer, R. (2003). The harder they fall. Harvard Business Review, 58-66.

LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.


Putnam, M. (2006). Retrieved from www.globalethicsuniversity.com: http://www.globalethicsuniversity.com/articles/thegoldenrule.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment